Re: Gnome objectives

Hi all!

As a long-time, advanced user of Linux as the main Desktop OS, I would
love to provide feedback on the Gnome Shell. I think it has tremendous
potential but the version in Fedora 14 is certainly rough around the
edges. I too believe that the project would benefit from user feedback
early on (you know, release early, release often).

As a user with good intents, it is quite off-putting to get the canned
response that the version used to file feedback and thoughts on
usability is outdated compared to what the devs are seeing on their
own desktops. It just does not fit how many of us think about
community development. It is unfortunately quite difficult to build
the Shell on the distributions that I have tried so far, and I suspect
this is true for others as well. If anyone is able to roll more
current F14 or Arch Linux packages, for instance, I think sharing
those packages along with an up-to-date manual to deal with all the
quirks to get it built, would bring lots of useful feedback from early
adopters. The jhbuild procedure currently fails on many steps on F14.

Even if the feedback from an individual user may have an overall
negative feel to it, please remember that the person took the time to
write and send it to the list because he/she cares about the project.
The desktop interface is not like a normal, stand-alone application
but something which sets the terms for all GUI interaction a user has
with the computer. It is completely expected that there will be
different opinions on how to design the workflow and solve problems.
The KDE guys experienced a major backlash with the UI paradigm changes
with KDE 4.0 and we do not want history to repeat itself with Gnome 3.
If the users do not seem to "get" a particular design choice, please
take a few moments to explain them. Gnome has made great progress on
usability, so I expect there are well thought-out ideas behind most of
what we see.

Personally, I really like the Shell and would be happy to help out
building packages or document the procedures on how to get the most
current "usable" version up and running.

Best regards,
Andreas