Re: Application matching in GNOME 3

Le lundi 06 décembre 2010 à 09:19 -0800, Adam Williamson a écrit :
> I'm told that bamf could theoretically work without the patch (though at
> present they haven't put a conditional in the code so it just fails to
> build unless glib is patched), but it would be significantly less
> accurate.
>
> As I'm not a coder, I can't get into technical specifics as to whether
> this is the right way to be doing things at all and so on, I've just
> been trying to annoy people enough that they keep moving forward on the
> issue rather than let it rot :)
It seems that the bug has moved towards a more general question of how
to launch and control desktop apps. This will allow other improvements,
but the Shell doesn't need this to match applications to their desktop
files, and it works quite well currently by simply expecting apps to set
their WM_CLASS to match their .desktop file name. I don't really see why
bamf couldn't use this for now, since it covers 95% of apps (and others
can be fixed).