Application matching in GNOME 3

On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 15:52 +0100, Milan Bouchet-Valat wrote:

> > What problems were you having? You might want to look at bamf
> > (https://launchpad.net/bamf) to help you.

> I didn't really have applications matching issues, since the Shell
> already needs to do this correctly anyway.

To wildly derail the discussion (hence new subject), that's interesting.

As some of you may know, there's a bit of an issue with bamf, which is
that it requires a change to glib2 that, so far, upstream will not
accept. I'm trying to help resolve that (in, erm, diplomatic terms, not
code terms) at present but it's not super easy.

I wasn't aware GNOME 3 needs to do application matching. How is this
planned to be implemented (or is it implemented already)? Could GNOME 3
and Unity (for which bamf is used to do this) share an application
matching mechanism?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey