Re: [Usability] Taking Advantage of Spatial Memory with the GS Window Picker

Le lundi 06 décembre 2010 à 09:46 -0500, Alex Launi a écrit :
> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Milan Bouchet-Valat
> <nalimilan club fr> wrote:
>         I had ideas to have a more integrated framework so that
>         applications and
>         documents used in the same context (represented by a
>         workspace) are
>         shown together, but I sort of gave up because it's complex and
>         the Shell
>         is evolving quickly. But this kind of thing could be done
>         easily for
>         documents using Zeitgeist, if we want to try this.

> What problems were you having? You might want to look at bamf
> (https://launchpad.net/bamf) to help you.
I didn't really have applications matching issues, since the Shell
already needs to do this correctly anyway. It's more that the design and
code has much changed, and since it wasn't a main feature for 3.0, it
was a little hard to keep up. And Zeitgeist was also changing quickly,
and not integrated into the Shell;

The toughest issue though is session management: I had thought that we
could close a workspace, and restore all the windows that were on it
later. But there are no real plans for session management in GNOME
currently, and the very complex XSMP spec, that could have worked, is
being deprecated, while no general replacement is here that would still
support my weird use case.

But this is of course not a blocker, we can start we more basic
features.

Regards