Re: [Usability] Taking Advantage of Spatial Memory with the GS Window Picker

On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 11:53 +0000, Allan Day wrote:

> Instead of manual rearrangement, you could order windows according to
> the sequence in which they were opened, or the order in which they were
> viewed (there could even be possibilities for alt-tab integration
> there).

Both of these completely screw up Allan's idea of muscle memory, which I
like.

I try(ied) to make GNOME 2 behave sort of like Allan suggests, in fact:
I always try to have my windows ordered the same on the window selector.
However, GNOME does it as you suggest - they're in order of launch. So
every boot I have to drag them into the order I like, and if an app
crashes and I relaunch it, it's in the 'wrong place' and I have to drag
it back.

When I briefly used a dock launcher, one of the nicest things about it
was that each (favourited, anyway) app was *always* in the same place.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey