Re: All GNOME Shell Developers.

On Fri, 2009-12-18 at 17:35 -0600, Ryan Peters wrote:

> Hmm... how about the left side be an applications menu like before,
> but the top/bottom could maybe contain Recent Documents/Places? In all
> honesty I wouldn't mind the new application menu so much as long as I
> didn't have those dreaded pages... the menu's a little larger than it
> needs to be, too.
>
> Sorry if it sounds like I'm mad or trolling at all, I apologize.

I think you've just highlighted the fact that the application menu
doesn't behave like an ordinary menu. Specifically, it doesn't open
sub-menus on hover. If it did, then opening an application would still
only require two clicks:

* activate the overview from the top left corner
* click the "more applications" item  (click one)
* hover the category you need
* click the application  (click two)

If you check the latest gnome-shell, you will notice that the categories
and pages of the applications menu are now in a single scrollable list,
although personally I think the menu and category based approach would
have worked better if the sub-menus had opened on hover.

Regards,

Thomas