Re: New spec files uploaded

On Wed, 2002-01-23 at 14:01, Evandro Fernandes Giovanini wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-01-23 at 04:31, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> <cut>
> > >
> > > You can do that by adding the following to the spec files:
> > >
> > > %define _prefix /opt/gnome
> > > %define _sysconfdir /etc/opt/gnome
> > >
> > > You may want to create a gnomesupport package that will add
> > > /opt/gnome/bin to PATH, /opt/gnome/lib to ld.so.conf and so on. (or you
> > > may do this in libgnome and have everything that depends on it and
> > > itself in /opt/gnome, and the other libraries in /usr).
> >
> > The ld.so.conf is easy, the PATH, hmm, I can hack that into
> > /etc/bashrc.  GNOME_PATH, same thing.  I wonder what else I need to do.
> > I wonder, (perhaps more importantly), if I should hack PATH/GNOME_PATH
> > into global config files, or into a GDM session...
> > 	Greg
> >

> You don't want to hack into /etc/bashrc because then it wouldn't work
> for users of csh and other non-bash sh shells. In Red Hat systems, you'd
> create two files: /etc/profile.d/gnome2.sh and
> /etc/profile.d/gnome2.csh.
>
> Anyway, I think there's a better solution, because hacking these files
> would make it hard to switch between GNOME 1 and 2. I'd suggest hacking
> this into a GDM session and (for people that don't use GDM) creating a
> wrapper for startx. For example:

Yay, this is what I was looking for.  hacking to commence, uh, soon!

> #!/bin/sh
> # Begin /usr/X11R6/bin/startx-gnome2
> GNOME_PATH=/opt/gnome
> PATH=$GNOME_PATH/bin:$PATH
> export GNOME_PATH PATH
> /usr/X11R6/bin/startx
> # End /usr/X11R6/bin/startx-gnome2
>
> Of course, you may want to use more variables (the same you used in the
> GDM scripts).
>
> And before I forget, you actually need three new defines in the spec
> files:
>
> %define _prefix /opt/gnome
> %define _sysconfdir /etc/opt/gnome
> %define _localstatedir /var/opt/gnome
>
> This, of course, following the FHS. See
> http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/fhs/, sections 3.4.2, 3.8

Oh, awesome, an HTML version of the FHS.  Why the LSB doesn't provide
this is beyond me (and it's damn frustrating, considering the quality of
the free PDF viewers out there).  Thanks.

> and 5.9.
>
> I hope I can get a Red Hat test box soon so I can help you test the
> packages.

I wonder if some/many of these could be alien'd to install on Debian...
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.