Re: New spec files uploaded

On Wed, 2002-01-23 at 04:31, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
<cut>
> > > The desktop packages will be different, because I'll be re-writing those
> > > to install into a non-standard prefix, most likely.
> >
> > You can do that by adding the following to the spec files:
> >
> > %define _prefix /opt/gnome
> > %define _sysconfdir /etc/opt/gnome
> >
> > You may want to create a gnomesupport package that will add
> > /opt/gnome/bin to PATH, /opt/gnome/lib to ld.so.conf and so on. (or you
> > may do this in libgnome and have everything that depends on it and
> > itself in /opt/gnome, and the other libraries in /usr).
>
> The ld.so.conf is easy, the PATH, hmm, I can hack that into
> /etc/bashrc.  GNOME_PATH, same thing.  I wonder what else I need to do.
> I wonder, (perhaps more importantly), if I should hack PATH/GNOME_PATH
> into global config files, or into a GDM session...
> 	Greg

You don't want to hack into /etc/bashrc because then it wouldn't work
for users of csh and other non-bash sh shells. In Red Hat systems, you'd
create two files: /etc/profile.d/gnome2.sh and
/etc/profile.d/gnome2.csh.

Anyway, I think there's a better solution, because hacking these files
would make it hard to switch between GNOME 1 and 2. I'd suggest hacking
this into a GDM session and (for people that don't use GDM) creating a
wrapper for startx. For example:

#!/bin/sh
# Begin /usr/X11R6/bin/startx-gnome2
GNOME_PATH=/opt/gnome
PATH=$GNOME_PATH/bin:$PATH
export GNOME_PATH PATH
/usr/X11R6/bin/startx
# End /usr/X11R6/bin/startx-gnome2

Of course, you may want to use more variables (the same you used in the
GDM scripts).

And before I forget, you actually need three new defines in the spec
files:

%define _prefix /opt/gnome
%define _sysconfdir /etc/opt/gnome
%define _localstatedir /var/opt/gnome

This, of course, following the FHS. See
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/fhs/, sections 3.4.2, 3.8
and 5.9.

I hope I can get a Red Hat test box soon so I can help you test the
packages.