Re: [Fwd: Re: here i come !]

On Wed, 2002-06-26 at 09:37, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Bruce Robert Pocock">
>
> > Just for my curiosity, what kind of diff. are you noticing? EG: my iBook
> > gets ~3h45m battery life with ext3 and moderately heavy use (say,
> > compiling GNOME from Garnome) under Linux
>
> Compiling means you're keeping the hard drive spun up, so this is not a good
> benchmark. When you're on a plane, you want the hard drive to spin up very
> rarely so that your batteries last for ages. With regular syncs, your
> machine has to either keep the drive spinning, or bring it back up from
> sleep.

My mistake - yes, I should have thought that one through. I take from
this thread that the loss can be up to 50% of battery life - is that
accurate? It does change my opinion significantly, but I'd be willing to
assist in some "power/time trials" with various commit intervals to see
if we can bring it down to a reasonable factor... Personally, I'm of the
"ext3 for all 'potentially naive end users'" school of thought, in that
the /worst/ thing that could happen is for a "PNEU" to hit: "Filesystem
corrupted, enter root password for maintenance:" at startup. Some
"paranoid enough" rc scripts with dialog(1) (or even an /etc/rc.d/rc
using GDK-framebuffer?) might help ease the burden on this...?