Re: [Fwd: Re: here i come !]

On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 11:17, Seth Nickell wrote:
> This is exactly the obscure sort of technical choice we *shouldn't*
> present if we are really targeting home users. There are options
> though... For example, what about having a low battery mode that mounts
> the filesystem as ext2 (you can mount ext3 filesystems as ext2 as far as
> I understand, right?). Things like that that end up being transparent.

Yes, I was thinking of suggesting this as well.
An even better solution, though, might be to
ask the kernel developers to add a boot-time detection
where, if APM or ACPI is enabled and the machine is
running off of a battery, automatically mount EXT3
partitions with EXT2.  I'll ask whether this sounds
like a workable solution on LKML.  I'm not sure
whether such a change could go into the 2.4 series
kernel.  It might be work only appropriate for 2.5.

It would be cool if there were a way to have the
EXT3 partitions synced and then remounted with EXT2
and vice versa.

Something like:  mount -o remount -t ext2 /dev/hda6 /

I tried this, but it remounts the partition with EXT3,
in spite of my attempt to set the filesystem type.

	Miles