Re: [Fwd: Re: here i come !]

On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 15:15, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> > > No, using ext2 has its uses. A journaled filesystem on a laptop is
> > > pretty bad for the batteries. And it's an easy question to ask.
>
> I might be totally clueless here, but I always felt that an installer
> should explain to me why I would choose one over the other.  I agree that
> sensible defaults are a good thing, and a project like this should make
> the decision of using xfs, ext3, jfs or reiserfs for the user IMO.
> But when it's between ext2 and ext3, the installer should tell me "these
> are the cases where you would want ext2".  This is something that the
> installers I've used neglect to tell me.
>
> I do have to admit that I didn't know there was merit in using ext2 on a
> laptop.  I had huge problems with apm in the past causing the whole
> machine to lock up, so I was glad to finally have ext3 support.  What
> exactly is the advantage of ext2 ?

Minimum hard disk activity, it's easier on the batteries than ext3 that
syncs to disk too often. Of course that doesn't apply to crashy laptops
;)

If you use ext3 on a laptop you should mount this partition with the
noatime option, so it doesn't write stuff to disk every time you access
a file that's already cached.

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera