Re: gnome-office website (was Re: We're removed from FC2 ?)

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 03:06:47PM -0800, David Bolack wrote:
> At 10:56 AM 2/5/2004, Jody Goldberg wrote:
>
> >the key requires to my mind are
> >1) They want to be part of GO
>   Yes.
>
> >2) They will use GO libraries
>   I fail to see the requisite relevance of this. It's nice and all but.. Um.

This is of paramount important in my mind.  There are several tasks
common to all the major office components.  Having all of us
replicate them seperately has been a major impediment to growth, and
interoperability.  Doing a good job on even simple components takes
time.  I've spent a good week on just the colour combo boxes.  Why
would we want to waste that, or to give the user different behaviors
depending on the app ?

The more we can share the larger the developer pool will be.
A phase from my rowing days (long ago) still rings true
    'many hands make light boats'

libgsf is a good start.
hopefully libgoffice will be in place soon and will help take things
further.

> >3) They are sufficiently stable to be useful
> 4)  They are actively maintained
Good point.  I had lumped this into (3)

> 5) They play well with the other office suite pieces or at least consider
> it a priority for improvement. Perhaps this is what you mean by 2.

True.  This is more important than (2) in many ways.  We need to
have good clipboard support at a minimum.