Re: [gnome-network]File sharing from Nautilus

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 14:11 -0700, Sankara Krishnamoorthy wrote:
> I'm new to open-source and GNOME development, so bear with me till I
> catch on.
> gnome-network I assume is a module, just like gnome-media.
> so for sharing a folder, you would provide several mechanisms
> 1. SMB
> 2. NFS
> 3. SSH
> 4. HTTP
> 5. FTP
> there may be more.

yes, we should try to integrate with any existing protocol.

> some of them require root privileges some of them do not?. For example
> http for webpages, can be setup generically for ~/public_html. So
> wouldn't it be better if a designated folder was shared(myshares).
> shareable through whatever means?

yes, that's one of the possibility we've been talking about. Apache,
ftpd, sshd, etc could just have a pre-defined directory where users can
create their links to their shared folders.

> syncing can be done with rsync?.(would require root, setting it up)

rsync does not need root, if you use it in 'rcp' mode, that is, just to
copy directories between machines. I use it myself every day to sync my
laptop and my desktop home directories, with no root access at all.

> Architecture wise, if something is to be shared generically and what
> protocol is to be used is decided on the fly, wouldn't we need a daemon
> that can do this(or require most of the ports open even if the folder is
> not shared via the protocol).  A user level gnome-network-daemon? like
> gconfd?

yes, we can have a daemon that acts as an interface between the user and
the system. This is something that have been talked about a lot of times
in the GNOME lists. This daemon would notify the user of new hardware,
new software, new services, etc, and will allow the user to modify, with
restrictions of course, the system configuration.

cheers