[gnome-network][Fwd: Re: Using emphetamine in gnome-network]

--
tapia eitig com
http://tapia.eitig.com
--------------------------------
http://www.hispalinux.es
http://www.monohispano.org
http://www.es.gnome.org
Debian GNU/Linux Sid
--------------------------------
"Llevamos cadenas aunque no las veamos,
y somos esclavos aunque nos llamemos hombres libres".
-- Oscar Wilde.
--- Begin Message ---
Emphetamine uses the bonobo-activation framework, so you need to install
it and make sure bonobo-activation can find the .server file for it, or
it will not work, though it should give an error. If you are not getting
an error message, be sure that it is not already running, since it would
just exit on the commandline if you don't give it a url. :)

I would be glad to rename Emphetamine and move it to gnome-network, if
it will mean getting the help it needs and deserves with coding. It
needs a lot of love though, before it should be in gnome-network, as it
is using some deprecated functionality and the current backend code has
some problems with gnome-vfs and cancellability. It's also very lacking
in the feature department. I have been planning on rewriting it from
scratch to use a separate daemon backend and gui frontend code, so that
it can be integrated better into the desktop as *the* download manager,
but I have not had time to do so. I would be glad to tlak with you more
on the subject later. I am at work now, so I can't really spend much
time to reply to you or discuss what should be done at the moment, but
feel free to e-mail me, or contact me on IRC. I am always on gimpnet,
in at least #elysium and #gnome-art.

Thanks,
-- dobey

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 14:45, tapia wrote:
> Hi.
>
> We at gnome-network-list are talking about adding a download manager to
> gnome-network package, and Emphetamine looks as a great candidate.
>
> I've donwloaded the tgz of the 0.99.6 release, and it compiles fine, but
> I can't run it. It breaks without any error message. Is there some
> binary file I can use, or could you tell me how must I compile it? I
> would like to try it.
>
> Thank you :-)

--- End Message ---