Re: [gnome-network]File sharing from Nautilus

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 15:11 +0100, Carlos Morgado wrote:
> On 2003.08.28 12:12, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 12:01 +0100, Carlos Morgado wrote:
>

> > > The sharing advertisements/query would certainly involve URLs so running
> > > stuff in odd ports shouldn't be a problem. What could be a problem is a)
> > > everybody running a http server (however this could be cleverly masqed by
> >
> > > http-server-in-shlib) and b) http not being good at all for sharing files
> > >
> > I was looking into the Zeroconf/rendezvous stuff, and found out Mandrake
> > has support for that. Is that a free implementation?
> >

> I just brushed up a bit on zeroconf, I don't think zeroconf as a whole is
> very relevant for this. The interesting part is the service autoconfig -
> zeroconf uses SLPv2 for adhoc announcements of services and as I expected
> (above) it uses URLs. So we can pretty do what we want regarding transport
> methods and server locations :)

yes, that's what I was referring to, that with zeroconf we can easily
know the services provided by the machines in your local network. So
that can make it easier to use whatever protocols we want.

> I couldn't find a (L)GPL implementation of SLP, best I could find was OpenSLP
> which has a bsd like license but i'm not sure it's OK

there is the zeroconf project at sourceforge, which is what mandrake is
using.

> > > this are *totally* diferent things. a daemon to handle network
> > filesystems
> > is
> > > a totally diferent beast from an hardware notification manager. also,
> > there
> > > already are hardware notification managers.
> > >
> > well, the daemon would serve as an entry point for users to a lot of
> > system management tasks, not only hardware notifications.
> >

> I see, you mean on the gnome side. That could make sense.

well, it's not really on the GNOME side. There have been talks to make
this daemon independent of GNOME, to be used by console, GNOME and KDE
apps (and others of course).

> > right, syncing is a bad idea :-)
> >

> Also, it's rather hard to keep stuff coherent across the network.
> This is a rather annoying problem, http and such is nice to share stuff RO

well, webdav can let us have RW

> but if you want to *really* share stuff you stumble into ugly cache/lock
> issues which nfs and the likes strugle against for the last oh 20 years :)
> (remember windows smb, it blew dead bears regarding rw access and it drove
> users insane)

we should integrate with existing networks, which includes of course
NFS, and SMB.

cheers