Re: [gnome-network]File sharing from Nautilus

On 2003.08.28 11:20, Rodrigo Moya wrote:

yeah. Running our own server makes things very tricky, since you can't
have more than user running the server, due to using the same port (or,
if you don't use the same port, then, it's a mess, since users need to
know which port other users are using).

The sharing advertisements/query would certainly involve URLs so running stuff in odd ports shouldn't be a problem. What could be a problem is a) everybody running a http server (however this could be cleverly masqed by http-server-in-shlib) and b) http not being good at all for sharing files

> The problem with having a system deamon is that:
> a) it is a security risk. This could definiatly be done securly but it
> is harder

yes, but in any case, there are plans to have such a daemon, not only
for this, but for things like knowing when a network card has been
started/stopped, etc

this are *totally* diferent things. a daemon to handle network filesystems is a totally diferent beast from an hardware notification manager. also, there already are hardware notification managers.

if we use the daemon, we just have to send a message to it, to tell it
'share this folder for user x'. If no daemon, then I guess using
symbolic links, or, if not possible, a synchronized copy (we could use
fam on the server to detect when there are changes on the dirs being
shared, and sync the copy when this happens) might work.

you mean, I need another 20G to share my mp3 collection with my wife ?

--
Carlos Morgado - http://chbm.net/  gpgkey: 0x1FC57F0A
FP: 0A27 35D3 C448 3641 0573 6876 2A37 4BB2 1FC5 7F0A