Re: suggestion: unified media player control panel applet

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 11:42 +0200, Frederic Crozat wrote:
> Le vendredi 16 septembre 2005 à 11:10 +0200, Christian Fredrik Kalager
> Schaller a écrit :
> > Hi Ross,
> > You are overdesigning :) All the applet would need to do is send out the
> > same X keycodes that multimedia keys on laptops and modern keyboards do
> > and you are set (as all apps important applications support those).
> >
> > Adam, why don't you get Frederic to hack on this, it shouldn't be more
> > than maybe a days worth of hacking.
>
> /me slaps Uraeus :)
>
> We already did this since Mandriva LE 2005. We preconfigured a bunch of
> multimedia keyboard in gnome-keybinding-properties for most common keys.
>
> Unfortunately, multimedia keyboard mapping is like hell : there are at
> least 120 different multimedia keys specified in xorg file (more than
> standard keys) and almost each keyboard vendor is using a different key.
>
> We have pre-configured GNOME keybinding for actions which are already
> available with most commonly used keycode, but the work should be done
> in x.org, to rationalise keycode.

Hey, someone else who isn't reading my emails :P

Fred, my original suggestion was a panel applet to remote control media
players (to unify panel-based remote control, remove duplicated code,
simplify the interface and give users more control over whether they
_need_ panel remote control at all, and if so, where it lives).
Christian was suggesting that, since we already have a framework to
allow multimedia keys to remote control media players, we could simply
hijack that for a panel applet rather than writing a whole new way to do
it. AFAIK, we don't have drakremotecontrol yet. :)
--
adamw