Re: suggestion: unified media player control panel applet

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 17:10 +0100, Bill Haneman wrote:
> John Palmieri wrote:
>
> >...People will ask why is my favorite xyz
> >multimedia app not an option.  I think it comes down to select one media
> >player and use that.  If it is not good enough to do everything you need
> >then that should be fixed - not the applet/notification icon.
>
> This seems wildly unlikely, thinking historically.  I am far from convinced
> that one app to play them all is even a good fit for user needs in all
> situations.  It's a nice goal, but IMO we shouldn't be making desktop-wide
> design decisions based on this premise.  There are just too many reasons
> why people both want and need multiple media players on their desktops.

Practically speaking, I think Bill is right. The applet I'm proposing
shouldn't take more than a couple of days to code and have working and
useful for the next GNOME unstable release. Writing the One Media Player
That Everyone Wants To Use For Everything is going to take a lot longer
than that. Heck, there's currently only one GNOME media player that I
know of which will both act as a library-based audio player and also
play CDs, and that's Banshee, which is very new, based on Mono and has
dependencies many distros don't yet meet. And besides, it doesn't play
video. Right now I use sound-juicer to play/rip CDs, Muine to play audio
files, and Totem to play videos; it'll be a while before there's an app
I'm comfortable using to replace all three, I think. And that's just me,
who likes modern apps and doesn't mind using mono. There's plenty of
people out there who still use xmms (and yes, a panel applet could
support xmms; xmms has console remote-control commands).

If, one day, we have the One True Media Player, it can have its own
panel applet and we can happily throw this thing in the trashcan. In the
meantime, I still think it'll be useful...
--
adamw