Re: suggestion: unified media player control panel applet

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 17:50 +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 09:42 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't believe in the One True Media Player.  I challenge anyone to
> > > come up with a *good* UI which combines with internet video playing and
> > > CD ripping.
> >
> > Erm, the original proposal was not to write the One True Media Player.
> > It was to write a panel applet consolidating simple controls for all
> > current media players, instead of the current situation where they all
> > stick a non-removable notification area icon in my panel with their own
> > controls on it. The discussion kind of sprawled in a major way from that
> > point.
>
> Oh, sorry.  I don't believe in that either.  :)
>
> Applications in Desktop should agree on a general layout for the
> notification area, but I also don't believe that the notification area
> is a good use for media player remote controls.

At this point I'm wondering how closely you're reading my emails :)

I don't believe the notification area is a good use for media player
remote controls either. Which is why I'm making this proposal to move
them OUT of there. Many media apps - Rhythmbox, Sonance / Banshee /
whatever, Muine, some others - stick non-removable icons in the
notification area. As you seemingly agree, this is Bad. If we wrote a
single _PANEL APPLET_ - note, PANEL APPLET, not NOTIFICATION AREA ICON -
which could be used to control any media player, this would remove
duplication of effort, get all those annoying icons out of our
notification areas, give the user more control (you can add, remove and
move panel applets around at will), and make the interface more
consistent.

Are you getting the idea yet? :)
--
adamw