Re: Coaster-lib

On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 01:22, iain wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 00:03, Sean Harshbarger wrote:
> > YEs Iain I know...Iain has done a lot of nit picking on the gui for me
> > and it has to to this. When you click "Burn" a new dialog asking you if
> > you would like to proceed pops up and has the yes/no and even a make cd
> > bootable check box. I think the bootable otions will be changes in the
> > prefs...however my time with the gui is small as I am focasing on the
> > core cd burning lib itself. Keep in touch if any ideas or thoughts come
> > to mind. Please do join #coaster on irc.gnome.org and use that as a base
> > for disscussions with me. Thanks.
>
> For clarification, I was comenting on Hadess' simple programs can't have
> lots of features view.

No, I was saying that most (CD burning) programs have an awful lot of
crap prefs because the developers can't be bothered making a choice, or
writing proper detection code that would "do the right thing".

The best example is the CD-Writer selection.
* What it should be:
a drop-down menu with the names of the CD-Burners/CD-Drives, in clear
English
* What it is:
http://www.xcdroast.org/xcdr098/sshot1.html <- I don't care about the
scanner on there, neither do I about the disk
http://www.abo.fi/~jmunsin/gcombust/shot4.png <- "Worst UI ever"
http://gnometoaster.rulez.org/gtprefs.jpg <- bit better, but still far
too much information

I hope you get my point. I don't want to dumb down/cut down on useful
features, I want the software to be easy to use.

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net