Re: designing a wrapper lib

On Thu, 2002-09-19 at 12:56, Ronald Bultje wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-09-19 at 00:21, Jorn Baayen wrote:
> > Well, this was meant to be a start of a brainstorm for _possible_
> > features for the API, so no surprise these things look like rb since
> > they are things i bumped into - when writing rb.
> >
> > *grumbles and wanders off*
>
> Jorn, you shouldn't take this so badly. ;). We're just saying that
> making a generic API that we'll all use will not be very
> useful/extended, and an extended API won't be used by too many apps
> because of it's specificity. That doesn't mean that the brainstorming is
> over or that it's a bad idea.
>
> I personally think that monkeymedia is a quite usable thing, and
> definately worth considering to use instead of gst directly. On the
> other hand, you should imagine that you'll never get all the world to
> use the sme API, the world is just not that easy.

Dude. Like I said in too many replies by now, it would be just plain
crazy to have the same API for everything, I know that, really. That's
not the idea the lib would have, the lib would just be for playback.
It should just be there just to make things easier, but instead, people
somehow seem to think it will only make their job harder.

Anyway, I'll go into passive mode now until someone else brings the
issue up again.. and gets people to agree :)

> Making a clone of XMMS based on monkey-media, for example, shouldn't be
> that hard... (while hacking on RB to have two different looks would be a
> hell of a job).

Well, hacking RB to have different looks owuld be a very bad idea. It's
just admitting you can't do a good UI ;) Plus it would involve multiple
sets of documentation. This is an entirely different issue though :)

Cheers
Jorn