Re: Status report on Gnome Wave Cleaner, and possibility ofplug-ins

On Thu, 2002-09-19 at 13:56, Jeff Welty wrote:
> The LADSPA plugin architecture simply won't support these
> algorithms.  I have looked at it (with the help of Conrad Parker).
> For example, declicking.  Say the window size is 1000 samples.
> A click may span samples 995 thru 1005.  The click detector
> won't even find that click until it has access to the second
> window.  So, it can't output the first window until it has the
> second window.  But my understanding is that LADSPA requires
> the same number of samples output as were input.
>
> Someone please let me know if I don't understand this correctly!
>
> What the audio cleaning algorithms *can* do, at some point, is
> to start outputing samples which have been fully processed.  Which,
> is why the need for a new API.  Denoising, in addition needs access
> to a completely separate part of the audio input to get a noise sample
> which the user has identified, which is sometimes not at the start of
> the audio input.

IMO this is way way beyond a gnome thing and is probably something you
should discuss with the ladspa people, and see if you can get them to
add anything to the spec.

iain
--
"The greatest evils in the world will not be carried out by men with guns,
 but by men in suits sitting behind desks" - C. S. Lewis