Re: designing a wrapper lib

On Thu, 2002-09-19 at 00:25, iain wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-09-18 at 19:43, Jorn Baayen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Assuming everyone agrees we need to use one wrapper library for all
> > gnome core apps,
>
> We don't need to have one wrapper library that all gnome media apps use.
> We can have a wrapper library that can make the things like "play this
> sound file" into one line instead of maybe 20. But if people still want
> to do the setting up of a gst pipeline, then then can, and we won't
> exclude them from being part of "the gnome multimedia project (tm)".

That was badly phrased, I'm sorry. I meant rather generic playback apps.
If it's just stuff being playbacked there's ofcourse no problem using
gst directly, although it's, i would think, inconvient. When the code
duplication and possible inconsistencies for the user creep in it's
starting to become serious. This is the case with player apps that also
access CD devices and stuff, since you want f.e. settings for them to be
shared.

> > To start with, here are a few things I could think of. If you think they
> > dont belong here, just start a discussion.
> >
> > - simple audio/video playback
> > - gapless transition/crossfading (Not sure about this one, at least RB
> > will need it, but i can imagine other apps needing it. It's just a very
> > nice feature that would ideally Just Work on any mediaplayer.)
> > - relative volume
> > - equalizer backend, perhaps a widget as well?
> > - visualization
> > - good audio cd support (with things like eject and cd availability
> > signals as well)
> > - metadata reading and writing
> > - internet radio support
>
> Some of these are nice. Some are rather application specific and we
> probably shouldn't bloat a library with them.
>
> However, there is no hope in hell that we can a) design a decent API
> or b) get it all done in 1.5 months, on top of what we already have to
> do, so this probably shouldn't be our top priority.

Well, that's probably right. Although there is already a lot of code in
monkeymedia that could be reused for metadata, inet radio, audio cd
(which is in the make), etc.

Well, it's something we need to get sometime imho (as you all well know
by now.. gah). There don't seem to be many enthusiastic reactions here
though so I'm not going to take this any further.

> Plus, I agree with Wim, this does sound like you've taken RhythmBox
> decided to stick it in a library.

Well, this was meant to be a start of a brainstorm for _possible_
features for the API, so no surprise these things look like rb since
they are things i bumped into - when writing rb.

*grumbles and wanders off*