Re: designing a wrapper lib

On Thu, 2002-09-19 at 00:21, Jorn Baayen wrote:
> Well, this was meant to be a start of a brainstorm for _possible_
> features for the API, so no surprise these things look like rb since
> they are things i bumped into - when writing rb.
>
> *grumbles and wanders off*

Jorn, you shouldn't take this so badly. ;). We're just saying that
making a generic API that we'll all use will not be very
useful/extended, and an extended API won't be used by too many apps
because of it's specificity. That doesn't mean that the brainstorming is
over or that it's a bad idea.

I personally think that monkeymedia is a quite usable thing, and
definately worth considering to use instead of gst directly. On the
other hand, you should imagine that you'll never get all the world to
use the sme API, the world is just not that easy.

Making a clone of XMMS based on monkey-media, for example, shouldn't be
that hard... (while hacking on RB to have two different looks would be a
hell of a job).

Ronald