Re: [gnome-love] Things that make you go "What in the world is That?!?"

Elijah Newren wrote:

I'm going to have to disagree with you  on gobject being an example of a
basic thing.  It's purpose is to make it easy to create binding to gtk+
in other languages.  Unless you are writing language bindings yourself
or doing something else advanced in gtk+, I think beginners can mostly
ignore gobject (signal connection being the major example that they
can't ignore).
Your probably right for basic hacking. Since it would leave an assumption that I am not going to be hacking any of the libs or starting my own project, I think it can be ignored at first... But it would be something I would put in "So your really commited to gnome: a guide."

Is that needed?  As far as I remember, nothing in the gtkmm tutorial
mentions gobject.  (gtkmm is the set of c++ language bindings for gtk,
more info can be found at www.gtkmm.org)  Perhaps you could describe in
more detail what you're trying to do and someone else can help you out. :-) (I would try to help, but I definitely don't know any details
about gobject)
Absolutely it's a must. I understand oop to the point I can use it in any oop langauge. I just don't understand the conventions in glib that provided that same functionality in C. I think the fact that it is so widely available on so many platforms AND in C is breathtaking. But as agreed above, I grant you it's not for the beginner.

If you're thinking in terms of c++, then
http://www.gtkmm.org/docs/gtkmm-2.4/docs/tutorial/html/ch08s07.html also
provides an example that may be of use to you.  Of course, Paolo also
provided another in his email already, aimed at C.

Sorry, didn't mean to hint at using glib with another language, as the two projects I itch most to want to dedicate a hobby to include the linux kernel and gnome. Them both being in C and using OOP paradigms just is an itch I'll eventually scratch.

In no way meant as disrespect, Paolo's guide doesn't tie into "What I know" from other languages with "How it's done here". Although very thorough, it is not aimed at my level of glib knowledge (not necessarily a bad thing.

I couldn't agree more.  If you have any suggestions on how to fix this,
feel free to send them to me.  My tutorial is one attempt to help fix
this, but I'm sure there's more things we need to do as well.

Honestly, Gnome-Love is great. I think the gnome project has a very open attitude with new developers as your efforts bear witness to.

Regards,
Chris

P.S. One great way to harvest the "learning curve" issue may be to have a simple bugzilla for collecting "I'm stuck by this code", as it's hard for me to think of anything besides the issues I have at the moment.