Re: [gnome-love] Things that make you go "What in the world is That?!?"

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 12:36, Geiregat Jonas wrote:
I'm going to have to disagree with you  on gobject being an example of a
basic thing.

a small introduction that gives you a basic good idea never hurts,

Assuming that it's a small introduction to something that you actually
need, then yes, that's very true.  I have included GObject in the list
of libraries for which I provide a brief overview describing what it's
for (but which doesn't describe how to use it).  My examples do, of
course, show how to do signal connection, although I never mention that
those functions come from gobject.  :)

I also believe know the under laying layer makes you a better programmer.

This is definitely true.  That's why in C and C++ classes you'll learn
about text, data, bss, stack and heap segments; about pointers and
memory allocation; and many other things.  But, would you take someone
who has never programmed before, and teach them these things first?  Or
would you teach them how to print "Hello World" on the screen?  You are
definitely right that we do need documentation covering advanced aspects
is well.  The only thing I'm trying to say is that my tutorial is
designed for the beginner.  Thus, I will not cover the "under laying
layer" unless it is necessary to really understand what is going on.
However, I should probably add a "links to more advanced tutorials"
section at the end, and include things like you are bringing up.

Cheers,
Elijah