Re: [gnome-love] Things that make you go "What in the world is That?!?"

Awesome, thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions.  I know
I threw a lot at you.

Heh, any more info just slug it this way. I'm your Guinee Pig :)

That makes sense.  I have a brief blurb about it and a link to a very
good guide for beginners with this tool on this page of my tutorial:

http://www.gnome.org/~newren/tutorials/developing-with-gnome/html/ch01s03.html

I have a little note to myself in the tutorial about writing some
example Makefiles for others to use, and couple them with my simple
examples.

The info there is perfectly suited to my types, and I think I'll read
more of the link about make later. Thanks. Having a simple makefile that
works with your source is another great idea, and will nicely round it
off.

making extreme portability possible, unfortunately the tools are still
(in my opinion) ridiculously complex...
explain how to use them, they just give a high level overview of what
the different tools and files are used for.  I'd appreciate any ...
I have a little rant about this autotool stuff, and a few other things,
in this section of my tutorial:
http://www.gnome.org/~newren/tutorials/developing-with-gnome/html/ch01.html#dontlearn

Thumbs up for that section too. It provides just the right information
needed, and isn't terse either :)

I'm one of many who realised through error that packing is not a fun
activity. This sort of info is a must-have.

Before you do that, could you take a look at..

I plan to read the whole thing in Summer hacking time :) Once exams are
over, my life gives way to slob-dom heh

In general, it's a great tutorial, with all the appropriate beginner
information in the right place. I think you should pursue having that as
the very first chapter of DevHelp/appropriate. It annoys me a bit the
way the Gnome development information seems to be spread across
different domains ect.. If developer.gnome.org had this sort of thing,
plus all documentation in a clear consistent way it would be a boon to
new developers.

Anything to help,

Ed Mack