Re: [gnome-love] Things that make you go "What in the world is That?!?"

Fair enough.  Are all of these answers to both questions?  If so, then I
have three more questions (I'll explain in a minute why I have so many
questions):
  1) Why would (or why wouldn't) new developers need to know about
     optimizing options of gcc?

It's not essential - which is why I haven't learnt about it. The further
advanced features aren't a necessity for someone beginning in all this,
it's more just of a curiosity that might be useful later on in life

  2) Really?  Most of my makefiles start out like 5 lines long (though
     some slowly grow over time).  I'm curious as to why you don't like
     writing them.  I'm suspecting you're using examples that rely on
     more advanced make features which make them hard to understand and
     remember, but maybe it's just that I've used make for a decade and
     I really don't remember what it's like to be a beginner with that
     tool.  I *really* want to understand the beginner point of view,
     though, as I've already noticed a number of places in my tutorial
     where I assumed to much or misguided new developers into advanced
     details.  I very much want to avoid that.

I don't like them as the syntax I use is just lifted from other files,
and I'm not always sure what can/can't be done - I'm not confident in
there use. Also, I always end up referring to a makefile I made a while
ago to remind me how to do it.. that's my memory's fault :) Mine are
much the same as yours in regards to length

  3) You are by no means the only one with a weakness in this area.
     Let me just say that you are definitely in good company.  Again, I
     have a question.  I once believed this was necessary for the
     beginner to learn.  I tried to analyze why I had thought that.  It
     appears that you may have thought the same.  What led you to
     believe that?

I don't need to use it, as I'm surviving without it, but when you see
all major projects making use of the *auto system, you begin to realise
it must be useful to those projects (of course my personal pet projects
are nowhere near the same size of complexity). I think just knowing what
was going on would make me a happier person, because I don't like
blindly relying on things.

I really should google up some of this information.