Re: Vincent Untz and the "users that like to hate people"

On Sun, 2013-02-17 at 23:57 -0800, Dylan McCall wrote:
On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 8:24 PM, Ma Xiaojun <damage3025 gmail com> wrote:
Well, GNOME fans, can you answer me a simple question:
Does using GNOME require skills like text file editing and/or command line?
If you're using GNOME to administer an email server? Yes, of course!
An attentive reader will of course say "there's no GNOME app for
administering a mail server," to which I would respond: "Precisely!"
and "But actually, there's a perfect one: Terminal. It's very
familiar, and it even has colours."

Actually there is "YaST" on SuSE / openSUSE.  And there is gyrus.  So
there is a bit of love for that topic.  But, correct, it is primarily a
command-line thing;  but that is a sys-admin task, not an end-user task.

BTW, I do administer mail servers from GNOME.  Very happily.

to run Firefox with a particular command line if you want to use a
specific profile, or even to open the profile chooser. (With that
said, you might be interested in the ProfileSwitcher extension).

Yep.

JAR files? Yeah, I'm not a fan of those either. With OpenJDK, at
least, you can execute a jar application if you right click it and
choose the JRE from "Open With", but it does seem a little unhelpful
that File Roller is the default handler. Fortunately, there are
definitely some nice ways to solve this that don't involve menu
editors :)

I access JAR files via file-roller regularly.  It seems correct to me.
Often times there is nothing straight-forward about launching a JAR file
- which entry point of the JAR file did you want?  But who is randomly
scooping up JAR files are trying to run them?  That is an *extremely*
esoteric thing to do.

My one and only time I needed to create an XDG .desktop file was/is to
run a proprietary Java application; as it does not package a .desktop
file.  That is a bug in the application.  And Java apps are generally
very poorly designed in how they name and reference resources - so that
particular task is really one for a developer.   Generally the name of
their main window in the window stack ends up being
org.launcher.Launcher... and something stupid.

Anyway, launchers. I think the nicest way about this is to simply
notice that in GNOME 3, launchers (and search providers) are very much
static things that belong (with a near one-to-one relationship) to
applications,

Yes, of course, because applications are what you "launch".

So, you want to choose between different profiles for Firefox?
Great! Do that with Firefox

Yep, which is where it should have been all along.

When I first looked at GNOME 3 I was kind of put off as well. I cut my
losses and let the shell guide my workflow a little more, and as soon
as I did that it suddenly turned into my favourite thing ever.

Same here.
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com/2011/05/fortnight-with-gnome3.html>

So, err, if you just block the Linux desktop stuff from your memory and
let GNOME 3 be its own thing for a moment, it could lead somewhere
surprisingly nice.

I became glad all the weird cruft is gone.  And the additional tools
like Overview [which does documents as well as applications] and the
GNOME Journal [AWESOME!] are great productivity enhancments.  It is all
about the content and the data after all;  get me to the applications
that get me to my data.

<https://live.gnome.org/GnomeActivityJournal>  Install it yesterday!

--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam whitemice org>