Re: Gnome 3 and computer shut down

On 06/20/2011 02:31 PM, Rowland Penny wrote:
On 20/06/11 13:06, Olav Vitters wrote:
On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 12:49:03PM +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:
On 20/06/11 12:26, Olav Vitters wrote:
You can disagree with that, but release wise there is nothing wrong
with how 3.0 was handled.
You are quite right I do disagree. In my opinion there is plenty
wrong with the way it was handled.
Could you expand on that? We're (speaking as a release-team person) open
to feedback, suggestions, criticism...

I think it's not right to blame Olav for anything. He's nice enough to ask for feedback and now it's up to you to provide some.

As I said earlier, I only found out that Gnome 3 was coming when it was
well into development. The developers should have firstly looked at
Gnome 2 and asked what is wrong with it, what do users what/need and
then come up with a draft design and thrown it open for discussion. If
this happened I never found it mentioned anywhere.

Given all the coverage of GNOME 3, I find it hard to believe that you didn't know GNOME 3 was coming. Apparently, GNOME developers were asking around (according to themselves) before taking decisions. But I cannot help feeling that instead of users they only asked themselves, they were happy with what they had created and then released it.

In my opinion Gnome 3 as standard is not fit for purpose as a desktop
for general use, I tried to use it, found that things that I have taken
for granted were seemingly not there or if they were there I had to
click the mouse several times and move all over the screen, and you call
this progress, I call it a mess.

I'm not too happy with GNOME 3 either (missing shutdown option, no icons/folders/files on desktop, ect) but apparently so were a lot of people with KDE 4.0. Since then, things got much better and this is what I'm hoping for on GNOME 3.

I had to spend several hours on google to get a semi working desktop but
I am still not happy and will probably have to invest more time to put
right what the developers have messed up.
I can think of only one thing worse than Gnome 3, Unity - this forced me
to change distro, unity is far worse than Gnome.

Unity is not that bad... it's closer to GNOME 2 than GNOME 3 actually. Ironically, using Unity on a large screen is much more fun than on a small laptop, although Unity was originally developed for netbooks. The lack of default option (e.g. resizing icons) is a bit worrying but maybe this will be fixed in oneiric.