Re: Gnome 3 usability - one user's comments

On 06/17/2011 12:48 PM, Sergio de Almeida Lenzi wrote:

So yes it is some work, but innovating in free software and on the
desktop is as well. While we (free software developers) tend to be
labeled as copycats for once there is a project that dares to try new
ways of doing things. I think it is very good for free software (my
personal opinion) and the GNOME project.

Now we need users feedback to fine tune all those little remaining glitches.

Thank you.

Fred
Thank you for your kindly answer...
In my case (the 200 users), I shut down the Linux server and
setup a FreeBSD 8.2 with ZFS and gnome 2.32 that make all the users happy...
by the way, they liked the gdm 2.28 too that have the nice "gdmsetup"
utility to change colors, backgrounds....
and works with the console-kit...

Now my problem is with the notebook users only (about 40-50) that runs
on archlinux,
it is becoming "old" and I cannot upgrade them...
I ask to archlinux list, but they too does not understand that the users
cannot live without
the icons in the background, the panel, the switch applet, and the
various applets that
exists in the "old panel" ...

The users came all from windows, and windows have the panel, the
background icons, the drop down/up menus...
and so on.. For us (me) windows gui is bad, is madness, is ugly, those
applets are foolish things,
and some of them love the "fish" or the "eye" applet, but it is what
they (end users want)...
imagine that some of them have about 30 to 50 icons in the background..
a kind of thing they
cannot live without..

Gnome3 is a major advance, I know, it is faster, reliable, can do many
more things, but what is missing
is the interface end users used to work with, that includes: desktop
icons, panel, and applets. if gnome3
provides this 3 things, than problem is solved...

by the way, I use archlinux in the notebooks because the hibernate, the
camera, the network manager, the automount of volumes... and so on.

Now I am thinking in installing FreeBSD 8.3 or 9.0 in their notebook, at
least in 2 HP and 2 samsung it is working.

I have others notebooks (acer 3050, 5050) running NetBSD, that is
lightning fast..

It is really a pity, archlinux worked very well for more than 2 years
now...

Sergio

Thank you for all those explanations. So you also understand that some of those old habits that users want are bad computing habits. It's a bit like trying to make your father/mother stop smoking because it's bad for their health. They want it though ;-)

I think you have about another 6 months to postponed any upgrade and use this time to prepare them. GNOME has some marketing material (slides, videos, etc) to explain why we made those changes. Most of them (please don't ask me about the others) have been made for good reasons.

As a side note you can enable the desktop icons through a key in Dconf . You might also want to check the other thread which has a lot of links and advice about customization of the current 3.0 release.

Good luck and hopefully everybody will be very excited to work with their shiny brand new GNOME 3!

Fred