Gnome 3 usability - one user's comments

Been using Linux for years. Started using Gnome 3 when Fedora 15 was released. I've concluded that I'm NOT in the audience for which the Gnome 3 concepts were targeted. [In contrast, Gnome 2 served me well.]

 *  HUMAN INTERFACE:
I started in computers when the keyboard was the only user interface available. It's taken me decades to get accustomed to using a mouse. Now the current Gnome 3 seems to be reverting to "keyboard shortcuts" as the answer for "how to navigate quickly". Not something I welcome.

 *  INHERITANCE OF USER'S EXPERIENCE:
I'd like to stress that Gnome 2 worked well for me. With the current Gnome 3 implementation, navigation has changed. I fail to see the attraction of replacing the set of navigation gestures an experienced user knows with something different, when the new set of navigation gestures is less efficient.

 *  NAVIGATION:
Gnome 3 primarily supports the user's navigation to an 'Application'. In contrast, I organize my on-computer work into 'Contexts' - each supported by its own virtual desktop. So my most important navigation need is quick workspace switching. [Using a mouse, on Gnome 3 that takes me multiple clicks.]

 *  FACILITATE UNINTERRUPTED FOCUS:
Gnome 3 has removed the Workspace Switcher from the screen where the user works. Those who have been using Linux for a while have learned NOT to be distracted by a switcher on the same screen as their work -- but out-of-the-box, the current Gnome 3 seems not to support how experienced users work.

 *  PARALLEL APPLICATIONS:
Gnome 3 primarily expects navigation to "one Application instance".
In contrast, I run multiple instances of applications (I typically have more than a dozen Terminal windows, three Browser windows, multiple PDF-readers, etc.), scattered as appropriate among at least six 'Contexts' (i.e., workspaces).

 *  MAKE IT EASY TO DO SOMETHING NEW:
In Gnome 2, if while working with one Application I wanted to open something else, it took one click within the panel on that same screen. Out-of-the-box, the current Gnome 3 requires invoking a second screen to launch that additional window (and perhaps multiple clicks within that second screen).

 *  WHAT IS HAPPENING NOW:
Sometimes when I am using an Application, a second window gets opened by that Application - but gets hidden behind the original window. In Gnome 2, I could at a glance see (in the Window Selector) how many windows were open in that workspace. The current Gnome 3 requires invoking a second screen to be able to see how many windows are open.

mikus

p.s. My eyesight will never win a prize. But I *cannot* see the time in the default Gnome 3 top bar, unless I lean close to the screen. 'gnome-tweak-tool' has problems on my 32-bit Fedora 15 system. If/when it works better, I'll be replacing the Gnome theme. Having a "Gnome 3 experience" - doesn't excite me. Seeing the time - that's what I need.

pps. The button to show Application icons (vs. Window images) is near the LEFT of the Overview screen. But the menu to filter which Application icons will be displayed is near the RIGHT of the Overview screen. For users with large monitors, it would be more convenient if the menu to filter which Application icons get displayed were directly under the button that switches the Overview screen to Application mode.