Please help me!! I've posted this question 5 other places now, with not a single response!!

Hello All,

I'm new to Linux, and installed Redhat 7.2 on a system here about a week ago. Yesterday I decided to change some DNS info and after I rebooted it won't let me into GNOME. When I log in I log into localhost like normal, but at the command prompt I'm root localhost root. I'd like to leave it this way, but I really need to get back into GNOME, because I really don't have much of a clue otherwise. Hell, I have to reboot the computer just to exit emacs because I have NO idea how to save and exit a file...wish I did. Is there some way I can change a gnome configuration file to allow me to go into GNOME now? All that I can figure that happened is that GNOME looks for a specific host when you logon and if that host is not found then it doesn't load. Is this right?

Additionally, I decided to install RH 7.2 on my system that I have at home. During boot up, it connects to Road Runner through my NIC and gets a ip address. When it does get an ip address it won't take me into GNOME wither. It says c login: and when I do log in I am root c When the NIC doesn't get an ip from road runner (unplugged the cable) I bypass the command prompt and go into GNOME. This is really getting frustrating ;-)

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
James