Solved: login to gnome after RH7 upgrade

Eureka!!!!!

Many thanks to all who have responded to this strange error.  I finally
found the cause, by comparing each *.rpmorig and *.rpmsave file to the
original.

I created a script to do that for me, and it gave "File not found" error on:
    /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession        and
    /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0

I went to that directory to investigate, and found that the originals had
been renamed, but the new files were named:
    /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession.rpmnew     and
    /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0.rpmnew

(Bex, you might want to check into this.  Perhaps ONE of your files is not
named properly?)

Copying those *.rpmnew files to "no extension" files did the trick.

It's a pretty handy script, and I'll share here.  This is a
kornshell-specific script, so you need the pdksh package installed.

#!/bin/ksh

# Find *.rpmorig and *.rpmsave files.  List number of
# differing lines.

find / -name "*.rpmorig" -o -name "*.rpmsave" 2>/dev/null | \
while read ORIG; do
  NEW=$(echo ${ORIG}|sed -e 's/\.rpmorig$//' -e 's/\.rpmsave$//')
  if [[ ! -f ${NEW} ]]; then
    print "Error: file ${NEW} was not found."
    continue
  fi
  (( C = $(diff ${ORIG} ${NEW} | wc -l) ))
  if (( C == 0 )); then
    # rm ${ORIG}
  continue
  fi
  printf "%4d lines differ in ${ORIG}\n" ${C}
done
exit

If you want to remove all *rpmsave and *rpmorig files that match the new
file, uncomment the "rm" command.  PLEASE BE CAREFUL!
--
Dennis Lovelady             Fayetteville, GA
mail: dennis lovelady com