Cannot login to gnome after RH7 upgrade

Hello.

I recently upgraded my RedHat 6.2 system to 7.0.  Since that time, I cannot
log in to gnome.  I get the login display, enter my userid and password...
the screen goes blank for a moment, then returns to the login display.  I do
not find any error messages in my home directory.  I am at a loss as to what
might cause this.

Have gone through Xconfigurator again to make sure the hardware is all OK
(it is).

If I do:
    init 1
    init 3
    startx &

then gnome will start, with me already logged in (!)

Any ideas at all?

Thanks!
--
Dennis Lovelady     dennis lovelady com