Re: CD ROM and Floppy icons won't disappear

Daniel Wood <daniel cs washington edu> writes:

> I can't imagine that floppy speed is a big issue.  It's just such a
> rarely used device (and slow and small too boot) that speed of access
> is sort of irrelevant.
>
> Anyway, I think that automounting and unmounting CDs seems like a nice
> idea, because it's what you want 95% of the time.  I don't really want
> to get rid of this feature, I just don't want the *icons* to show up
> after magicdev goes ahead and mounts my CD.  It looks like I have to
> find something else (or just mount by hand), though, because it seems
> that magicdev's interface is basically: install and uninstall.

Not true. You can turn on or off the features of magicdev from the
GNOME control center. ("CD Properties" capplet)

If you want the automounting without the icons, well, we don't have
that feature, though it would be trivial to add, but it sounds like
what you real want to do is simply not run GMC.

Either in a GMC window select "Commands/Exit", or, run
'session-properties' select 'gmc' and then press 'Remove'.

Regards,
                                        Owen