Re: CD ROM and Floppy icons won't disappear

On Sat, Oct 28, 2000 at 03:19:29PM -0800 or thereabouts, Daniel Wood wrote:
> I'd love to never see another icon on my desktop again.  After I
> installed Redhat 7.0, I deleted all of the icons on the desktop.
> Unfortunately every time I insert a CD a CD-ROM and a Floppy icon
> appear.  My fruitless web searches only pointed me as far as
> "magicdev", something that doesn't seem to have a man page.  Clues (on
> how to make my computer stop doing random stuff that I don't
> understand) gratefully accepted.

Ugh. Magicdev has neither man page nor /usr/share/doc/ info. Bugzilla
this at Red Hat's bugzilla and make Sopwith very happy. (He's going to
kill me now, I just know it.) All there is is 'rpm -qi magicdev':

[hobbit aloss hobbit]$ rpm -qi magicdev
Name        : magicdev                     Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 0.2.6                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 1                             Build Date: Tue Nov 23 20:09:21 1999Install date: Fri Jan 14 22:28:02 2000      Build Host: porky.devel.redhat.com
Group       : Applications/System           Source RPM: magicdev-0.2.6-1.src.rpmSize        : 47487                            License: GPL
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://developer.redhat.com/bugzilla>
Summary     : GNOME daemon to automatically mount/play CD's
Description :
A daemon that runs within the GNOME environment and detects
when a CD is removed or inserted. It handles running auto-run
programs on the CD, updating the File Manager and playing audio CDs.

To get rid of it, be root and type "rpm -e magicdev". That will
remove the package from your system. The CD and floppy icons will
no longer appear on your (or any user's) desktop.

It does mean you'll have to know (or learn) how to mount peripherals
yourself. It's not actually that hard once you grab and hang onto
the idea that your computer has at least one filesystem (often more!),
your peripherals have filesystems, and mounting is just about sticking
one onto the other for a bit.

There is a drive-mount applet which takes care of the grief for you,
with a manual by John Ellis which explains a lot of this. (If it doesn't,
let him know :)). You may be able to run this applet as a normal user
and be able to mount and unmount things. If you can't, you will need
either to alter system settings to allow non-root users to mess with
mounting, or to become root in a terminal, start a small new panel
from there, and select foot menu->applets->utility->drive mount in it.
If I'm not making this up as I go along, then this should give you a
little root-owned applet which can do the mounting.

(I actually find it easier just to become root in a terminal and do the
typing, but I'm used to the command, and I don't actually use many
different floppies and CDs.)

Telsa (who always removes magicdev)