Re: Why oh why is Gnome eating my panel! (Frustration == MAX)

> Well....I can't afford to have a static IP.  So I can't prevent a new ip
> each time, and it's associated hostname.
>
> An idea might be to name my machine at foo.bar.com and writing a script to
> change that line in /etc/hosts to point at the ip of the current default
> interface, whether it is ppp0 or lo.   That won't change the hostname, but
> will that cause problems with programs that only do a getbyhostname() on
the
> current ip?
>
> Do you have better suggestions? Should this be addressed in my
> distribution's ppp setup (debian, unstable).

What I did, was just to make up a hostname
tigermilk.outside.net was my old machine's name when I was in Canada
but now I'm not at that IP, I've set up tigermilk.outside.net to resolve to
127.0.0.1
Then I set the hostname of the box here to be tigermilk.outside.net (dunno
how you do it in debian, but in redhat I edited /etc/sysconfig/network) and
now whenever anything does a check on the hostname, it finds
tigermilk.outside.net and 127.0.0.1 as the IP, and it all seems to work.

    Granted it's probably not the correct way at all, but it does the job :)

Iain