Re: Why oh why is Gnome eating my panel! (Frustration == MAX)

On Thu, Sep 09, 1999 at 04:05:39PM -0400, Elliot Lee wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, The Doctor What wrote:
> Fix it so that your hostname doesn't get changed every time you dial up.
>
> Basically, the conversion chain
> 	hostname -> IPaddr -> hostname
> must always be possible, and you will also have some hangs if the IP
> address that your hostname points to changes during a GNOME session.

Well....I can't afford to have a static IP.  So I can't prevent a new ip
each time, and it's associated hostname.

An idea might be to name my machine at foo.bar.com and writing a script to
change that line in /etc/hosts to point at the ip of the current default
interface, whether it is ppp0 or lo.   That won't change the hostname, but
will that cause problems with programs that only do a getbyhostname() on the
current ip?

Do you have better suggestions? Should this be addressed in my
distribution's ppp setup (debian, unstable).

Ciao!

--
Chemist who falls in acid is absorbed in work.

The Doctor What: A really hip dude               http://docwhat.gerf.org/
docwhat@gerf.org                    (finger docwhat@gerf.org for PGP key)
KF6VNC