Re: Why oh why is Gnome eating my panel! (Frustration == MAX)

I should add the reason I found it necessary to use the ppp hostname
rather than use a dummy hostname is that certain network services
require the node to have a "legitimate" (accessible from the Internet)
hostname.

I don't remember specifically which ones didn't work before I did
this.  I think the sendmail daemon was refusing the stuff from
fetchmail, and telnet to certain paranoid hosts didn't work.  I think
ssh would need a verifiable hostname also.  To allow telnet/ftp access
from work, my script emails my new hostname to my work address.

OK, off topic... I'll shut up.

                           Michael