Re: Why oh why is Gnome eating my panel! (Frustration == MAX)

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, The Doctor What wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 09, 1999 at 04:05:39PM -0400, Elliot Lee wrote:
> > On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, The Doctor What wrote:
> > Fix it so that your hostname doesn't get changed every time you dial up.
> >
> > Basically, the conversion chain
> > 	hostname -> IPaddr -> hostname
> > must always be possible, and you will also have some hangs if the IP
> > address that your hostname points to changes during a GNOME session.
>
> Well....I can't afford to have a static IP.  So I can't prevent a new ip
> each time, and it's associated hostname.

> Do you have better suggestions? Should this be addressed in my
> distribution's ppp setup (debian, unstable).

You don't have to change the hostname just because the IP address on a
particular interface changes. Choose something, make it point to
127.0.0.1, and you're set.

My home machine is hostname bogus, and I have '127.0.0.1 bogus.localdomain
bogus' in /etc/hosts.

-- Elliot
genetic Khaddafi NSA Semtex $400 million in gold bullion security
quiche Soviet ammunition nuclear colonel spy CIA FBI Serbian