Re: Why oh why is Gnome eating my panel! (Frustration == MAX)

On Thu, Sep 09, 1999 at 02:08:20PM +0100, Iain wrote:
> This happened to me when I changed my ISP
> The problem was because I hadn't set up my hosts file correctly to include a
> reference to localhost or to my computers new name
> The problem was discovered because the session manager printed "Host name
> lookup failure on localhost." when X was starting.
>
> This is how my /etc/hosts file looks
> 127.0.0.1  localhost localhost.localdomain
> 127.0.0.1  nodata.freeserve.co.uk tigermilk.outside.net
> localhost  127.0.0.1
> nodata.freeserve.co.uk 127.0.0.1
> tigermilk.outside.net 127.0.0.1
>
> change the nodata.freeserve.co.uk and the tigermilk.outside.net to whatever.
> This may fix it.

I thought that was the problem.  I have a dialup slip with *dynamic* ip's
assigned on dialup.  What is the correct way to fix this?  I can't keep
all these IP's in my hosts file, I can't "restart" my panel just because I
dialed up or hung on my ISP.  This will go away,when I switch back to
having an IP-Masq firewall between me and the ISP (hopefully DSL), but
this is still something that needs to be delt with.

Ciao!

--
"Gort, klaatu nikto barada."
	 -- The Day the Earth Stood Still