Re: Heh! Maybe I can help! (was: Icons)

+++ Sun, Aug 08, 1999 at 01:35:59AM +0100 +++
Iain e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.

> I take it that you're using icons as a metaphor for how developed Gnome is
> compared to KDE. (If not, I'm sure that if we all stopped working on various
> coding for a couple of weeks, we could pump out a few thousand icons and
> beat KDE into the ground)

The point here is that evidently, they are somehow better organised
and disposing of more manpower than we are. There are ~500 people
working at the Gnome project (rough guess). KDE has got about double
the people.

I don't see any reason why the Gnome project shouldn't be able to
produce at least half the amount of icons KDE produces. That is, maybe
fourty or fifty a month. At that rate, we'd have all the empty
positions in the foot menu and panel context menu filled in less than
three months.

> Don't forget KDE is a year older than Gnome. When
> I got Linux installed (about September 98)I got KDE 0.9 with it, and quite
> frankly IMHO, it was unusable. I basically gave up on X windows, until
> someone showed me www.gnome.org. At that point Gnome was in V0.30. I think
> that Gnome is ahead of where Kde was a year ago, and is catching up. But we
> have a year's ground to catch up, and a lot of coding can happen in a year,
> so we can't catch up overnight.

But we should try to catch up. I just learned that Tigert is indeed
still painting icons, which makes me incredibly happy -- after all,
Tigert's graphics style is one of the reasons why I consider Gnome to
be about the prettiest thing you can put on your Linux desktop.

But one man is not enough, and even if it just was one man, some
communication would be nice.

mawa
--
Errr.. 'want' and 'Windows NT' are not words that normally go in the
same sentence.