Re: Icons (was: Where's all the movement?)

>KDE have got more than double the icons we've got. And this is an old
>version; as everyone should now, they are repainting them all at the
>moment. In high colour. They've got numerous artists working on this
>in a well-coordinated team. AFAIK, they are painting more than
>thousand icons. Thousand.

And they have some guidelines for icons, IIRC.

>Gnome, on the other hand, seems to have got only one person doing
>icons, and that's Tigert. When was the last time he painted an icon?
>Maybe he's overworked with something else and needs help.  At times,
>the KDE project has done a hundred icons a month.

Yes, he is Gimping, IIRC. And I guess lot of people saw "Tigert is doing
icons" and then all tought "ooops, place taken by a important guy, best go
somewhere to do other things". Not trying to insult tigert, but I feel the
rest of artists feel "scared", at least a bit.

>I've talked to KDE's lead artist at LinuxTag (he's the one
>coordinating the effort to turn KDE's ugly icons into nice high-colour
>ones). One of the people working on his team once wanted to lend

Ugly, a bit. But they work nice in 256 colors. BeOS and MacOS icons have
multi bpp versions, and all look nice. Gnome icons are all just one style
(tigert) of many (one per person? artist?). Icons also should be part of
themes, not just buttons and sliders.

>Tigert a hand with the icons. I don't want to give Torsten Rahn's
>opinion on this, and I don't want to say anything about Tigert, but
>the fact remains that now the guy is working for KDE and not for us.
>There's a problem somewhere.

Uuummm... the GUI team needs to put that in the list. "We need some rules
for icons, a team of artist (in the broad sense, if you are cool doing 1 bit
icons, but poor in 24 bits, or only "machine like" icons, join us too) and
then work".

Also: anybody has the contacts (correct word?) to start an Icons website in
T.O (http://icons.themes.org/ ie) where all, KDE, Gnome or whatever icons
will be stored? I do not know why Gnome must Gnome icons and KDE use KDE
icons. This is a point where colaboration is easy, IMHO.

GSR