Heh! Maybe I can help! (was: Icons)

+++ Sat, Aug 07, 1999 at 06:34:57PM +0200 +++
Guillermo S. Romero / unnamed / Familia Romero e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.
> >KDE have got more than double the icons we've got. And this is an old
> >version; as everyone should now, they are repainting them all at the
> >moment. In high colour. They've got numerous artists working on this
> >in a well-coordinated team. AFAIK, they are painting more than
> >thousand icons. Thousand.
>
> And they have some guidelines for icons, IIRC.

Why isn't anything happening here along these lines? We once used to
have a list of "Icons That Have Yet To Be Made". What happened to it?
Why isn't there a call for artists? How does one submit icons to the
project? Is that possible or are all of Gnome's icons required to be
made by Tigert? When will Tigert next paint an icon? Next year maybe?

(Sorry if I sound annoyed. Tigert surely is working on other great
things.)

> >Gnome, on the other hand, seems to have got only one person doing
> >icons, and that's Tigert. When was the last time he painted an icon?
> >Maybe he's overworked with something else and needs help.  At times,
> >the KDE project has done a hundred icons a month.
>
> Yes, he is Gimping, IIRC. And I guess lot of people saw "Tigert is doing
> icons" and then all tought "ooops, place taken by a important guy, best go
> somewhere to do other things". Not trying to insult tigert, but I feel the
> rest of artists feel "scared", at least a bit.

Torsten Rahn (the KDE lead artist) told me there's a problem with
Tigert's attitude. I can't make any judgement here as I don't know
Tigert. He is a great artist for sure, but maybe there should be
someone else making icons, too.

> >I've talked to KDE's lead artist at LinuxTag (he's the one
> >coordinating the effort to turn KDE's ugly icons into nice high-colour
> >ones). One of the people working on his team once wanted to lend
>
> Ugly, a bit. But they work nice in 256 colors.

The lead artist himself said they were ugly, OK?

[schnibble]

I am not an artist. But if you think it's a good idea, I could put up
some kind of "Gnome Art Central", a place for submission of new icons
and such.

mawa
--
No directory.