Re: Heh! Maybe I can help! (was: Icons)

On Sat, 7 Aug 1999, Matthias Warkus wrote
> +++ Sat, Aug 07, 1999 at 06:34:57PM +0200 +++
> Guillermo S. Romero / unnamed / Familia Romero e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.
> > >KDE have got more than double the icons we've got. And this is an old
> > >version; as everyone should now, they are repainting them all at the
> > >moment. In high colour. They've got numerous artists working on this
> > >in a well-coordinated team. AFAIK, they are painting more than
> > >thousand icons. Thousand.

When KDE first started I downloaded the first couple beta
distributions and monitored their mailing list.  I can't remember his
name, but one of the original organizational guys was an absolute
freak about icons and graphics.  He obviously thought that no matter
how good the mechanics were on the inside, the number one thing for
most lay people was that it look nice on the outside.  He was correct,
of course, and he made it a priority from day one.  So it doesn't
surprise me that they have so many nice icons now.

I realize that people want GNOME to have its own look.  But lets be
practical.  The KDE icons are free for distribution aren't they?  Too
be honest, its not that important to me but if people want icons, I
suggest they download the KDE icons and use them.  Are there
specification differences?  Or is this a matter of pride?

You don't really have to ask to use them but someone could offer an
icon exchange.  I doubt the KDE people would do it.  It would be
pretty one sided at the moment.

Just a thought,
Tom
-------
Quote of the day for Saturday, 7 August, 1999:

"If you believe everything you read, you better not read."

  - Japanese proverb