Small problem with panel (was Re: recently on the WindowMaker list)

On Tue, 12 May, 1998 at 11:33:41AM -0500, Rob Browning set free these words:
> Matthew Hawkins <matt@mail.goldweb.com.au> writes:
>
> > Something I'd like to see in the GNOME panel is the ability to position
> > it on any part of the screen edge, not just at the far extremities.
> > At the moment you're pretty restricted where you can place the panel
> > while running WindowMaker as wmaker has the dock down one screen edge
> > and appicons and mini-icons on the bottom.
>
> I'd still love to see an option for the dock (and perhaps fiend too)
> where it would always be on top, and would slide off the screen (like
> the panel) when the pointer's not over it.

I've been having one small usability problem with panel and fvwm2 that seems
to relate to autohide -- although I'm entirely sure.  In fvwm2, you can have
separate workplaces and a connected virtual desktop (of separate screens.)  In
the virtual desktop, you can set it so moving the mouse to the edge of the
screen tells the window manager to trade screens.  With the panel, this
functionality does not work -- Moving to the edge containing the panel never
causes the windowmanager to page the screen.

I've seen this problem with fvwm2's taskbar set to autohide before, but not
when it doesn't autohide.  Panel prevents moement whether it's set to autohide
or explicit show.... Somehow the panel is interefering with fvwm2's detection
that the mouse cursor is at the edge of the screen.

-Toshio
--
badger  \"The Difference between today and yesterday is not so much what has
@prtr-13 \ changed between then and now as what I hope to change by tomorrow."