Re: recently on the WindowMaker list

>> I've asked Miguel and other GNOME developers that I see (well,
>> virtually anyway) just about every day exactly what GNOME wants
>> from the window manager, and got no reply.

Miguel> I can not remember you asking me this on a daily basis.  I do
Miguel> not remember this being the case.

I don't remember ever seeing any message about making WindowMaker work
with Gnome.  Whatever.

Miguel> And yes, people have approached me asking what needs to be
Miguel> done for the window manager to cooperate with gnome, and the
Miguel> answer is: I do not know what do we need yet, but some window
Miguel> manager maintainers have been discussing this on gnome-list.

I do know one thing that is required: a Gnome window manager should be
a client of the session manager, using the X Session Management
Protocol.  The docs for this protocol are available on ftp.x.org.

I'm also happy to answer any questions wm implementors might have
about the protocol or its use.  I'm interested in getting as many wms
as possible to do this correctly.

It is quite easy to add client support to most programs.  Having the
client support in a program doesn't add any noticeable overhead when
no session manager is running.

Tom