Re: recently on the WindowMaker list

At 04:57PM on Mon, May 11, 1998, Tom Tromey <tromey@cygnus.com> sent:
> Miguel> I can not remember you asking me this on a daily basis.  I do
> Miguel> not remember this being the case.
> I don't remember ever seeing any message about making WindowMaker work
> with Gnome.  Whatever.
I've asked it in the past on the WindowMaker mailing list (on more than
one occasion), I've asked Miguel and other GNOME developers on IRC and
in private mail, I persisted and made an annoying fly out of myself
since at least september last year until around Jan-Feb when I gave up
hope of ever getting a reply that had progressed beyond the three magic
words of ignorance.
However, now it appears people are actually interested in taking this
beyond the ignorance stage and into the practical one.

> I do know one thing that is required: a Gnome window manager should be
> a client of the session manager, using the X Session Management
> Protocol.  The docs for this protocol are available on ftp.x.org.

WindowMaker attempts to be a session manager itself, although I'm not
fully aware of to what extent it takes this role.  Therefore I'm not
sure how this would fit into your model.

> I'm also happy to answer any questions wm implementors might have
> about the protocol or its use.  I'm interested in getting as many wms
> as possible to do this correctly.

One thing I'd like WindowMaker itself to do is the GNOME-compatible
drag & drop.  It would be possible then for example to drag a file out
of gmc and onto a docked appicon and have that application launch like
it currently does with OffiX-compatible DnD apps.

Something I'd like to see in the GNOME panel is the ability to position
it on any part of the screen edge, not just at the far extremities.
At the moment you're pretty restricted where you can place the panel
while running WindowMaker as wmaker has the dock down one screen edge
and appicons and mini-icons on the bottom.  For me personally it rules
out the bottom and right-hand side for the above reasons, and it rules
out the top as I have the application-formerly-known-as-fiend in a
horizontal bar from the top-left corner.  Which leaves the left-hand-side
for the panel, and I _hate_ vertical panels! ;-)
Right now I'm making do by leaving it at the bottom and sliding it in
to the right-hand-side with the button thingy, then extending it when
I want it.  But it'd be nice to be able to position it 64 pixels up so
I can leave it extended and it won't get in the way of any icons or the
future Shelf clone.

--
Matthew Hawkins <matt@goldweb.com.au> |
WWW: http://www.goldweb.com.au/~matt/ | "Do not taunt happy fun troll."