Re: New GNOME Website - Plone Deployment

Jeff Schroeder schrieb:
On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 8:08 AM, Lucas Rocha <lucasr gnome org> wrote:

[...]

So, I ask to sysadmins:
- Do we have enough server resources to run Plone with optimum
performance? If not, how can we solve this?
- How feasible it is to have the test website and the continuous build
infra done in the next 2-3 weeks? In that case, we don't need the
ideal server resources yet as it's just for testing.
- Do you need any further information other than the stuff on the wiki page?

Being new to the team, someone with more experience might be able to
answer some of the other questions but here are mine.

Is python 2.4.5 a hard requirement? This limits where we can run Plone
and what distros we might use unless we backport python.

Yes, python 2.4 is a hard requirement (2.4.4+).
What distribution are you running mostly?
It's not required to port a package that adapts python to the distribution's convention. It's enough to build a package that installs the compiled python distribution into a specified directory.

I usually compile python 2.4.5 on the machines I deploy plone on into a directory below /srv/zope even if there is a system python2.4.

The wiki page says, "Missing: provide a script that checks out the
latest code and rebuilds the code and restarts the Plone instance".

The simple story is
bin/instance stop (stop zope)
svn up
bin/buildout (update the dependencies)
bin/instance start (start zope again)
+ check if the plone instance is responding in the case development broke the site.

Can we get links to the plone docs on building from trunk or a "best
practices guide" on how they do it? We might learn something clever
from their insight and then write the scripts ourselves.

For wgo we use a stable plone release. Only the wgo specific packages are from svn. The application server environment is build with zc.buildout. It pulls in all dependencies we define during development.

http://plone.org/documentation/tutorial/buildout
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.buildout

Buildout is also used by most plone developers in depoyments to compile/install/configure/update all other components (zope, squid/varnish, pound, apache, ngnix, ...). Not really Plone/Zope specific, but of cause unusual for a (non plone) server administrator. There are no good distribution specific packages for zope/plone and some distribution screwed up the system's python in the past so it became the
standard deployment in the zope/plone world.

[...]

..Carsten